‘Marathon’ before the Marathon!

‘Marathon’ before the Marathon!

4.15 a.m. Sat 3rd September 2011, we’re heading to Glasgow to do the half marathon in the Great Scots Run tomorrow.  The last time I was in Glasgow was in September 2010 when I attended the World Parkinson’s Congress and it’s as a result of attending that congress that I am today heading for Glasgow.

I was leaving my home at 5.30a.m. so needed to be up at least an hour and 15 mins before departure to get the medication into me that would get me going.  Thankfully by 5 a.m. I was motoring and could do the last bits of packing before being collected by Kate and Warren at 5.30 a.m.

We arrived in Glasgow with Jason and Lorraine and I checked my phone at 8.45 a.m, there was a text message from Jane telling me that our hotel reservations had been cancelled.  Now Jane has a really good sense of humour so I thought this was a big joke! We hopped into a taxi and headed for Citizen M hotel, a cool, retro hotel that I know my kids would rave about but I discovered that it seemed to be run initially by ‘robots’.  Check-in is cool, it’s on a PC.  Unfortunately the PC does not talk back other than to tell you that your reservation has been cancelled!!!  So armed with this information I went on the hunt for a human being. Not an easy task in this ultra modern hotel, who’s booking office is in Amsterdam and only opens Mon-Fri from 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. and this was Saturday at 9.00 a.m. or possibly at this stage it was about 10.30 a.m.  Negotiating this type of problem can be time consuming and rather frustrating.  After 5 hours the hotel were delighted when they found out that they were not at fault and promptly told me I would have to deal directly with the booking company.  With that we were left to our own devices, and after much negotiation myself and Kate were relocated to the Jury’s Inn.

Absolutely exhausted we were finally glad to have somewhere to call home for the night.  Negotiations with the booking company are ongoing, watch this space……….

We spent the afternoon (in between my medication wearing gloriously on and off) shopping and eating and following Jane and Adrienne in and out of various stores. Kate was really helpful when I was finding it difficult to walk.  Notwithstanding the fact that she had managed to lose her voice, somewhere between Dublin and the Jury’s Inn.  She feels that Warren will be really upset to have missed this happy occasion of Kate not being able to speak for an entire afternoon!! We are encouraging her to keep a diary of her thoughts so she can keep us up to date on her various topics of conversations.

We headed to eat in a vegetarian restaurant and there are many more stories that could be told about the evening but what goes on tour…………

So I am completing this entry at 9.20 p.m. and heading to an early bed in preparation for our half
marathon tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *